Paths to Peace




Wednesday, December 2, 2009

President Obama's New Plans for Afghanistan

Yesterday afternoon I received a call from Peter Smith, religion reporter for our local newspaper, the Louisville Courier-Journal. Peter had been given the task of contacting individuals representing local peace groups for reactions to the President's speech later that evening on his plans for sending more troops to Afghanistan.



My comments were included in the article which appeared this morning. Here is a link:



http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20091201/NEWS01/912010362/Military+action+alone+won+t+solve+Afghanistan+s+problems++Louisville+residents+say



I said that I had hoped that with the coming of a new administration we would be looking for peaceful ways to solve our differences with other countries. I commended the President on having a clearly set out exit strategy (although I said I would have been happier if he were pulling our troops out sooner).



There is something I didn't say there that I would like to say here. I am generally opposed to wars and violence of all kinds. But for those who plan and execute wars, there is something that should be remembered. Undertaking a war without a clear understanding for leaders and the public alike of what would constitute winning (and loosing) leads to disaster. We saw that in Vietnam. We witnessed it again in Iraq. I fear that once again we find ourselves mired in a conflict that will hold onto us with a death grip because we can't clearly explain, simply explain what it would mean to win in Afghanistan.



I think the best strategy is to get out. Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment